PDA

View Full Version : No IP for networked computers. --SOLVED--

Seth
10-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Yesterday I was called to a Salon & Spa as their salon program wasn't opening. The spa has a host computer with two network cards for the two networked computers. Changes they make in bookings, are automatically duplicated on the other computers. So, the drive was giving out a high pitch sound indicating the motor was failing. I brought it to my shop, cloned the drive, reinstalled the spa program and checked the network. All was fine.

I returned the computer today only to find that neither networked computer can obtain an IP (Typical 169....limited connectivity). I know the problem is on the host, as I tested one of the computers network when it was at my shop, plus the other networked computer can't get an IP either.

Thing is, nothing has changed on the host. I went through all the basic steps on all the computers to no avail. Everything looks good, but yet the host won't issue an IP.

It was tough to concentrate on what I was doing, as the employees constantly needed the computer for bookings, etc. And it didn't help that I was surrounded by a bunch of very beautiful woman wearing revealing clothing:D.

Anyway, I'm going back there at close as there having some sort of after hours class. I'll have full access to the host, but at this point I honestly don't know what else to check for. Any suggestions?

Dan18960
10-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Seth,

Several things here - the spa program and the use of 2 nic cards to connect the additional computers.

First, I would NEVER use 2 nic cards in workstation configurations - workstation (with the exception of NT Workstation) operating systems are not geared to act as a full DHCP network server and gateway.

I would suggest throwing a workgroup switch (or router) in your tool bag, a few extra cables, and a thought process to networking the computers.

Second, I have seen where software licensing can cause a problem when changes are made and the software is not pointed to the correct hardware configuration - is it possible that the original installation was set to assign an ip address, accept handshaking from a computer, and acknowledge with a master browser assigned ip to the "slave" system?

If so, your reinstalling the software "divorced" that configuration and the easiest and hourly cheapest is to throw that router/workgroup switch in the network, assign static ip addresses, and test access to the shared database location.

I am known to be lazy - and anytime I can take out internet sharing etc from a workstation and place it on a piece of hardware - I am going to do it in a heartbeat.

Seth
10-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks Dan.

I think the switch or router is a good idea...thanks.

Good guess on the handshake, but remember the second networked computer (to which no changes were made) can't get an IP either.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Seth
10-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Giving this some more thought. I wonder if the bridged nics are conflicting? I'll remove the bridge and disable one of the nics.

TonyDi
10-15-2007, 05:25 PM
But you have the same hardware and a cloned hard drive. Hardware-wise, the only thing that's different is the new hard drive. I doubt that would cause a problem, but with proprietary specialized software, who know?

So what did you do when it was in your shop? Did you do something while checking it out after cloning the drive that may have caused a network problem? You probably put it on your network. Maybe you didn't and when it booted and saw either a different network or no network at all (depending on what you did), some setting may have changed.

If so, you might be able to clone the drive again, but don't turn the machine on until you install it at the salon.

Either way, I agree that you should have a router in there instead of this bridged NIC. Why? Only because I'm not familiar with the bridged NIC and I suspect that it can be flaky.

-td

Phelyx
10-16-2007, 12:10 AM
That is a really cheap and poor configuration even for a hair salon. This sounds like a really poor Win 98se ICS config from hell (been there). Just out of stupidity sake, did you use patch or crossover cables when hooking up the machines :).

Seth
10-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Keep in mind that nothing settings or software was changed. The only hardware change was the cloned drive, which can't account for the problem. Also keep in mind that the host won't issue an IP to the second networked computer and that computer wasn't even touched. That's how I knew the problem was with the host.

So for the very first time, I tried static IP's and that solved the problem.

Thank you all very much for your thoughts and suggestions:).

---Issue solved.

Terry Hanushek
10-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Tech Problem ***SOLVED***

The technical problem relating to this thread has been resolved!

Please refrain from any additional posting in this thread unless there is an UPDATE to the original problem or new and relevant information related to the topic.

Additional postings may be removed without notice.

Thank you!
KH Mod Squad