Thread: Mouse cursor stuck on screen?

Mouse cursor stuck on screen?

Friend called me up, she has XP and all of a sudden she started her pc as normal one day and the mouse cursor was stuck on one spot on the desktop, she thought the mouse was bad so she bought another mouse with a USB connector this time to rule out any problems with the ps2 port but same problem, any ideas please?

Re: Mouse cursor stuck on screen?

Maybe something in Startup is causing the problem. Suggest starting in Safe Mode. Also consider System Restore.

Switching from PS/2 to USB creates a "wait" function as the operating system searches for the drivers to recognize the USB new hardware. I have had that happen and take 5 minutes to get an active mouse. It has also required a rebooting to get the mouse to work.

Whatever you do, don't start moving the USB mouse around to different slots - you can hose the system.

Intel P67 xtreme
    Intel i5 2500 3.3ghz
    8gb RAM
    2 SATA DL Lightscribe DVD
    WD 320gb SATA Hard drive
    Windows 7 Professional (RTM)
    Office 2010 Professional Plus
    VISTA HATER BUT I SURE LOVE WINDOWS 7
    But my computer worked YESTERDAY!

HAVE WE HELPED YOU? IF SO WHY NOT CONTRIBUTE... 'Donate'

Agreed on the former, but haven't yet dived into the latter.

Mike,

I doubt the issue is hardware.

I suggest the issue is caused by conflicts with needless startup programs, invasive internet security, and as such...malware should be addressed.

Dan, Please explain. How does using a different USB slot cause problems? Does this only happen with a mouse? What about anything else I connect using USB?

HP Envy 15t-J100 Quad Edition CTO Notebook
    8G RAM
    1T HD
    Windows 8.1
    NOD32-WinPatrol
    AdMuncher-SAS-MAB

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Dan, Please explain. How does using a different USB slot cause problems?

Good question.

Dan?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Agreed on the former, but haven't yet dived into the latter.

Mike,

I doubt the issue is hardware.

I suggest the issue is caused by conflicts with needless startup programs, invasive internet security, and as such...malware should be addressed.
    Malware was my first reaction, I'll tell her to run an online scan then reload the OS if that doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Dan, Please explain. How does using a different USB slot cause problems? Does this only happen with a mouse? What about anything else I connect using USB?
    Hope I don't step on Dan's toes here. When you plug in something, such as camera, mouse or some other type of device into a USB slot, where a driver is needed, the computer configures that slot to access that driver. When you plug in a mouse, for example, that was plugged into another slot, it has to find the driver, and configure that 2nd USB port to use the driver, and sometimes de-configures the first USB port. That is my take on it. Dan please correct me if I am wrong!!

"As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others." - Bill Gates

I don't see why moving usb port will cause it to crash, but it also will not solve the issue either because once the freeze occurs, it is there for the duration. For some reason a usb mouse is the last thing to be recognized and I always forget when I return a unit to client to not plug in anything else usb except for the mouse first because if bootup gets hung looking for a printer driver, you won't have a mouse to run cd to get printer installed as the mouse always seems to be configured last.

Steve,

You are right on with your answer.

Rich,

Your explanation of the mouse driver being the last hardware driver assigned is also what I meant by hosing the system. If someone starts moving the mouse among other USB ports AND is not waiting for the driver assignment they are going to do something to "correct" the problem and that just creates bigger problems.

Intel P67 xtreme
    Intel i5 2500 3.3ghz
    8gb RAM
    2 SATA DL Lightscribe DVD
    WD 320gb SATA Hard drive
    Windows 7 Professional (RTM)
    Office 2010 Professional Plus
    But my computer worked YESTERDAY!

HAVE WE HELPED YOU? IF SO WHY NOT CONTRIBUTE... 'Donate'