Thread: Quick Launch Icons-Does it slow startup?

Quick Launch Icons-Does it slow startup?

While reading thru some of the post here (wish I could help someone - but you guys are way farther up the road than me- an beat me to the punch every time - LOL) - I notice that it is mentioned that Quick Launches and loading Icons on both sides of the desktop slow the startup.
    Do they really?
    But that's it -right?- they are not included in any running processes after the boot right? They don't slow you down once they are loaded?
    Last edited by Freemorrison; 12-19-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Re: Quick Launch Icons-Does it slow startup?

Quote Originally Posted by Freemorrison View Post
    ...I notice that it is mentioned that Quick Launches and loading Icons on both sides of the desktop slow the startup.
    Do they really?
    But that's it right- they are not included in any running processes after the boot right? They don't slow you down once they are loaded?
    Freemorrison,
    The more desktop icons you have, the longer it takes to bootup. The reason being that Windows has to search for and then load the corresponding 'picture' for each desktop shortcut.
    Once the boot process is complete, desktop icons have minimal impact on performance.
    Tip: Most programs add a shortcut in your Start Menu, so keep desktop icons to a minimum...your 'most used' programs for example, and use the Start Menu shortcuts to 'launch' all other programs.
    Rob

~Have we helped you? Like it here? Why not Contribute... 'Donate'~

Rig: Case- Antec P180; PSU- Seasonic M12II620; Mainboard- ASRock 970 EXTREME3; CPU- AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz; Memory- Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600 4x4 16G; Drives- SSD Mushkin E-ChronosDX 2.5 60G SATAIII (OS), HDD Western Digital VelociRaptor 300G (Data) & 1TB Caviar Black SATAIII (Backup via usb); Graphics- HIS H577FM1GD ATI Radeon 5770; Speakers- AltecLansing FX3022; OS- Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64; Monitor- NEC MultiSync 24" EA241WM; Trackman- Logitech Wireless; Keyboard- IBM M84

Ahhh,, gotcha- good to know. Thanks

Everything on computers and life is a trade-off. I like the Quick Launch. My computer is always on, so bootup time is moot. QL is a single click access to my fav apps from any point that I'm at. Great convenience.

What is time anyway --- but a moment to the convenience of another moment?
    Fred Kagel, Dir
    Freehold Computer Training Center at PC Warehouse
    Training | Consulting | Developer | Tech Support
    QuickBooks AllStar
    Certified QuickBooks Enterprise, Point of Sale, and ProAdvisor®

I have to disagree with Kern and agree with Fred. The availability of a Quick Launch toolbar can greatly facilitate the computer experience if organized correctly. The time it takes to locate the icon image, since it is a direct access read, is minor. The icon does not cause the program to be loaded but rather makes it easier to launch it when needed.

Unless you are turning off and on your computer every hour, concerns over the boot time are greatly overrated. I turn on my computer on at 2 AM, get a cup of coffee, a breakfast bagel, and the computer is ready or almost ready to run. Probably most would say that a start-up time of 10 or 15 minutes is ridiculous. I usually turn off the computer at 7 PM. So, if you divide the time it takes find and locate an icon images and complete the boot/start-up processes by the total up time of the computer, 10 minutes is inconsequential to me.
    Joe Strub
    WriteCo@writecompanyplus.com
    Pentium 4 CPU,3.40GHz,3gB RAM,XP-SP3 Home,Cable

I think the issue is unnecessary icons in QL and on desktop and also the position as Rob stated they have to be up and ready to go before bootup is complete.
    Single row of icons on both sides does slow down bootup as well as icons all over desktop....but no they don't slow you down running once you are booted up.
    Fred I have come to the conclusion while leaving pc on all the time is only bad for certain components, the overall use that way I think shortens the life of the pc by creating a series of heat issues that never get a chance to resolve. One thing I know is since I stopped doing that I have yet to lose a hard drive and you know my past on that one.

Thanks for everyone's input- greatly appreciated. (So leave the PC on all the time in winter- shut her off after use in the winter) LOL thanks Rich.

I know I'm a little late on this one but I think I read somewhere to create a master folder on your desktop and move all the icons into the folder. Your desktop is clean and you are only one click away from all your icons. I would be interested to hear from the guru's if that's a way to keep your shortcuts and not slow up your boot time.

HP Envy 15t-J100 Quad Edition CTO Notebook
    8G RAM
    1T HD
    Windows 8.1
    NOD32-WinPatrol
    AdMuncher-SAS-MAB