Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downloads Folder Missing!!

Downloads Folder Missing!!

Hi All;

I had a shortcut to my Downloads in Windows Explorer under Favourites (right click Start orb and click open windows explorer) and just today i have noticed it is missing. I have been Googling the problem but can't find a solution, can anybody help?

Thank You

Re: Downloads Folder Missing!!

Bill,

I create a folder for my downloads - in my case it is Transfers. The download folder is just a "holding" place that the operating system creates but is not protected from deletion whether accidentally or by a rogue installation program that has bad programming to delete the expanded files.

ALSO - IF you have been downloading programs (utilities, camera pics, etc) and using the Download default I would encourage you to get a good cd/dvd writing program (not the default windows one although it does work) and burning copies of those files for the future.

Remember Computers are machinery and they do FAIL and you have to restore your "life" to the replaced hardware or new system.

Intel P67 xtreme
    Intel i5 2500 3.3ghz
    8gb RAM
    2 SATA DL Lightscribe DVD
    WD 320gb SATA Hard drive
    Windows 7 Professional (RTM)
    Office 2010 Professional Plus
    VISTA HATER BUT I SURE LOVE WINDOWS 7
    But my computer worked YESTERDAY!

HAVE WE HELPED YOU? IF SO WHY NOT CONTRIBUTE... 'Donate'

Quote Originally Posted by BillyC View Post
    Hi All;

I had a shortcut to my Downloads in Windows Explorer under Favourites (right click Start orb and click open windows explorer) and just today i have noticed it is missing. I have been Googling the problem but can't find a solution, can anybody help?

Thank You
    Perhaps just the S/C is missing and not the download folder itself. Take a look at the link below on how to change (as well as find existing) download folder in IE. If it were FF, to change the DL folder, you would just go to Tools. I don't see it in IE and so you will have to go here a check a registry entry: http://snurl.com/changedlfolder

Once you find the folder, right drag and choose create shortcut. The cut and paste the short-cut wherever. I am not clear on how you can link the short-cut to your favorites, but I guess that can be done somehow as you have done it.

Hope this helps.
    Fred Kagel, Dir
    Freehold Computer Training Center at PC Warehouse
    Training | Consulting | Developer | Tech Support
    QuickBooks AllStar
    Certified QuickBooks Enterprise, Point of Sale, and ProAdvisor®

Hi guys thank you for helping and sorry for not getting back to you. I have been on my holidays and what with having various family groups staying the last few weeks have been a blur of activity. Thank you again for the help.

BillyC, did you resolve the problem?
    Lina

Yes, Lina problem resolved thank you.

Billy

I'm wondering if something you did may help another of our members down the road? Was it a problem with the shortcut or the download folder itself?

Terry

Tech Problem ***SOLVED***

The technical problem relating to this thread has been resolved!

Please refrain from any additional posting in this thread unless there is an UPDATE to the original problem or new and relevant information related to the topic.

Additional postings may be removed without notice.

Thank you!
    KH Mod Squad
    HAVE WE HELPED YOU? Like it here? Why not Contribute by clicking "Donate" at top Banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan18960 View Post
    Bill,

I create a folder for my downloads - in my case it is Transfers. The download folder is just a "holding" place that the operating system creates but is not protected from deletion whether accidentally or by a rogue installation program that has bad programming to delete the expanded files.

ALSO - IF you have been downloading programs (utilities, camera pics, etc) and using the Download default I would encourage you to get a good cd/dvd writing program (not the default windows one although it does work) and burning copies of those files for the future.

Remember Computers are machinery and they do FAIL and you have to restore your "life" to the replaced hardware or new system.

I have been using the software in Win 7 assuming it was abbreviated good burning program for simply copying data files to a CD/DVD. Can you recommend a burning program that does CD and DVD burning WELL?

Thanks

Dizz,
    I use (believe it or not) a free burning program and have for years called "CD Burner XP" that is fully functional for data and audio cd's and dvd's as well as iso and copydisk functions and in spite of it's name is for Vista and Windows 7 as well.
    http://cdburnerxp.se/
    After years of screwing around with Dan's favorite Nero, and years of frustration with all things Roxio, I decided this was the best one as I have never made a"coaster" with it and of course every one of these programs has way more functions than native burning software in Windows.
    My Nero history was that I loved 8.0 which worked in Vista but when Windows 7 arrived on the scene we were told it was not compatible, even though it worked fine with it, and moved to 9.0. 9.0 typical of failed software programs released a massive update, actually as big a download as the original program, almost within weeks of the release of 9.0 version. That failed to work properly for me in Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit so I returned to 8.0 which stopped working right after Sp2 in Vista and became problematic in Windows 7 for me. The very thought of buying 10.0 version after all the issues I had with 8 and 9.0, was odious to me so I went back to CD BUrner XP and have lived happily ever after, still with "0 Coasters".
    Anyone who remembers before Roxio, when Adaptec Easy Cd was "godlike" historically, before Adaptec spun off their software division into the "glory days" of superbly flawed programs rivaling only Scansoft for thoroughly putrefied software, can use this program easily and flawlessly as that is exactly what it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
    Dizz,
    I use (believe it or not) a free burning program and have for years called "CD Burner XP" that is fully functional for data and audio cd's and dvd's as well as iso and copydisk functions and in spite of it's name is for Vista and Windows 7 as well.
    http://cdburnerxp.se/
    After years of screwing around with Dan's favorite Nero, and years of frustration with all things Roxio, I decided this was the best one as I have never made a"coaster" with it and of course every one of these programs has way more functions than native burning software in Windows.
    My Nero history was that I loved 8.0 which worked in Vista but when Windows 7 arrived on the scene we were told it was not compatible, even though it worked fine with it, and moved to 9.0. 9.0 typical of failed software programs released a massive update, actually as big a download as the original program, almost within weeks of the release of 9.0 version. That failed to work properly for me in Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit so I returned to 8.0 which stopped working right after Sp2 in Vista and became problematic in Windows 7 for me. The very thought of buying 10.0 version after all the issues I had with 8 and 9.0, was odious to me so I went back to CD BUrner XP and have lived happily ever after, still with "0 Coasters".
    Anyone who remembers before Roxio, when Adaptec Easy Cd was "godlike" historically, before Adaptec spun off their software division into the "glory days" of superbly flawed programs rivaling only Scansoft for thoroughly putrefied software, can use this program easily and flawlessly as that is exactly what it looks like.

I installed the latest version BUT cannot do anything with it as it DOES NOT recognize my burner it says no burner is installed!!!.

I went to the online help and it was no help at all. I played with it but cannot make it recognize my burner although in the online help it says something about downloading stuff for AMD chip sets and I am afraid to "mess" with that turkey.

Any ideas?