Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acronis 2013 Issues

Re: Acronis 2013 Issues

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    I haven't read the entire thread, but what I have read bothers me. A good reason to run Acronis True Image from only the Rescue disk. But that defeats the scheduling feature.
    I could not even do that because the rescue disk could not see the hard drive, an issue caused most likely by the uefi bios. I could not boot to the cd without changing the bios to accept legacy drives and then it could not see the hard drive. Feels like an issue with linux cd's and uefi bios that needs some work as the same thing happened with rescue cd from Macrium, but they have a Windows PE rescue disk so that worked., but could boot to cd. These software makers are not doing their "homework".

I don't think you can blame Acronis for the fact that the computer can't boot to it because of a screwed up BIOS/UEFI.

Tony,
    Today all new motherboards come with Uefi bios and it is the software makers job to make sure their software works with the current hardware, not mine and not the hardware maker's job. This makes 2 laptops by different makers that Acronis rescue disk would not boot to, and hard drives could not be seen by. I had two desktops with Acronis 2013 installed and while I made image files, I never tried the rescue disks and they are both sold now so I have no clue whether they worked with restore either as I didn't realize it could be an issue. The Uefi bios boots differently than legacy hardware, again this is my first knowledge there even is an issue. The thread you didn't read all of talks about issues with rescue disks not working or recognizing drives all the way through it, but Uefi bios were only beginning then and were scarce at that time. I would bet that some of those issues had to do with this but no one knew it then.

I hope Acronis figures this out. They must be aware of the issue. Don't ya think? I wonder how far this goes.

And to think I've been excited about UEFI Bios. The old Bios were always difficult to use and seemed like carry overs from the MS/DOS days. I believe the new UEFI Bios are more like Windows driven menus and seem to be easier to use. That doesn't mean they won't have issues with certain software as Rich indicates. Acronis better do their homework on this matter or they risk losing users.
    Enthusiastic Windows 7 & 8 user

Dell Studio XPS
    Intel i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    12GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 3450
    500 GB SATA Hard Drive
    Dell S2409 (HDMI) 24 Monitor
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Wasn't there a member who was somehow connected with Aronis at one time? If that is the case perhaps he can opine on the issue or even better connect Rich to the proper folks at Acronis to make them aware of the situation??? "Mebbe" an invite to the people who manage those problems to comment directly on KH could be arranged ????????????

Well since that thread was in 2010, I would say they are no where wouldn't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    I hope Acronis figures this out. They must be aware of the issue. Don't ya think? I wonder how far this goes.

OK here is the issue from the Acronis Forum and there appears to be a hotfix but I don't see how it will help frankly.
    Issue:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/olivnie/arch...ured-boot.aspx
    The Fix:
    http://kb.acronis.com/content/38965
    And you have to make the rescue disk over again. Problem is one of the things I did do was make an Acronis Rescue Disk agaiin from a working pc but I didn't have one running so that I could use Windows 8. However the newest version of Acronis was installed to the Sony Ultrabook and that is the one that wiped out the entire OS, so I would say the issue is not solved and I certainly would be no help because where would I ever get the courage to install it again? It's not worth it to me.

Here is another Forum discussion Macrium and Acronis on Windows 8 including several stating they had restored successfully with Macrium in Windows 8:
    http://www.eightforums.com/software-...ndows-8-a.html

One of the things I am thinking is if Acronis cannot handle this I would bet one of the reasons they are having issues is all this erroneous stuff they have been playing with for years that only muddies the water such as Secure Zone, Cloud Storage and Smart Phone Synch etc....how about making the initial product correctly first!

It has been years since I used image files in Acronis on my other pc's on Windows 7 and they have early Uefi bios as well. I think I am going to go all the way with Macrium because I think this software is totally out of control and not the "lifeline" it has always been for me and I now have big "trust" issues after all these years.

One of the things I am wondering now is, is this just with Windows 8? After all I had Windows 7 on the Acer laptop and could not successfully restore Windows 7 or 8 image files and in restoring the Windows 8 image file, even though Acronis stated that the file had restored properly, the reality is not only had it not restored properly, it had formatted the drive to Fat32 with nothing on it. I had all but forgotten that until I wrote this so the actual problem isn't Windows 8, it's the Uefi bios which is before Windows is ever entered. And what of the image file? It was there as I entered it to find some files more than once so I know it was made properly.