Thread: Ukash on a Mac.

Ukash on a Mac.

I just got off the phone with a guy who has the Ukash Police infection on his Mac desktop. He said he was using an antivirus, but I don't remember the name. It wasn't a typical antivirus, but it was two words and started with Mac or Apple.

Anywho, I really wasn't expecting that, but a Google search confirmed it.

Re: Ukash on a Mac.

How about that! To fix it, reset the browser or delete the browser's .plist file. I know of two people, myself included, who have been hit with this.
    Learn about iPods, iPads, iPhones and Macs at my user group: http://www.mlmug.org/

Kelly,

I only glanced through the threads I found, but I as well saw something about resetting the browser. So is the Ukash infection on a Mac just simply a browser hook? That's kind of cool if it's that simple.

Just did some research. The reset is the de facto solution.

That's impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    I know of two people, myself included, who have been hit with this.
    Curios Kelly, what is the base that you refer to when you say, "I know of" ?

The first one was a customer. I have maybe 8 Mac customers. Some were once Windows users.

I'm a member of the local Apple user group. Acutally I was president from 2009 - 2012. VP two years before that and Recording Secretary the year before that. We have about 150 members. We have a listserve (Yahoo Group) that allows members to post questions. If there are problems, I usually hear about them.
    Learn about iPods, iPads, iPhones and Macs at my user group: http://www.mlmug.org/

Ok thanks.

One last question in regards to something that I've been wondering.

Given that a lot of people purchase Apple computers to avoid malware, what do you think is the likelihood of them admitting an infection on a public forum (compared to a Window's user)?

In addition, given that Ukash on the Apple seems to be a simple browser hook, I suspect that the "infection" was not designed to target the OS, but rather the browser via a third party add on.

On the question of Mac users likelihood to admit having an infection on a public forum, I think they are just as likely or not likely to admit it.

The authors write the infection for the browser. It's funny to see an infected Mac running with an XP-style window telling you that you have a problem. It's a dead give away that it's fake.

I didn't even notice the XP style window. lol

I thought it was a "fake", because if it was a real Ukash infection targeting Ios, it would be way harder to remove.

Very interesting. Thanks for the interaction.